Jonathan and Emily: Love Conquers All (Part 4)

          Convinced that I would be living the single life for a long while, I went ahead with plans to go to South Korea and teach English. After a brief jaunt in Colorado where we heartily celebrated my roommate's wedding, I returned to Jackson to mop up the details of my South Korean trip, collect my things, and say goodbye to friends.
           God had other plans. Around this time, Emily watched a movie called “Leap Year," and something about the film reminded her of me. Then she realized that she missed me. And so, true to our original style, Emily sent me an email informing me of this fact. I distinctly recall the confusion I felt as I read her message. She really missed me. Could it be that the little hope that refused to die was still alive under the dead leaves and the dirty ground? It didn't take us long to find out.

           Our first reunion date was a trip to Starbucks.  In the car, we had a brief awkward moment as we tried to define what was happening between us.  In the end, we decided to give up trying to define our relationship and just let it happen.  After some coffee and conversation with friends, we headed to evening church, then rambled over to campus for some pizza.    
          Once again, we became inseparable. And this time it lasted. Just a few days later, while sitting at a violin concert, I put my arm around Emily, and we both stopped breathing for a few minutes. She remembers the moment feeling right, and I remember being thankful that she didn't slap me in the face. Later that night, she tried to hold my hand but was foiled by the chocolate chip cookies I was holding. Not one to give up so easily, she grabbed my hand while we were shopping in Target. We haven't let go since.
           A few months into our happy and joyous relationship, I decided that I could no longer keep my feelings to myself. Emily needed to know that I wanted to marry her. I called my mother and informed her of the situation. Mother advised me to restrain myself, as it was too soon, and I would probably scare Emily away again. I listened to mom's advice, hung up the phone, and told Emily that I wanted to marry her approximately ten minutes later. Thankfully, Emily did not run away this time. In fact, she confessed that she had been feeling the same thing. Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment